Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spot like - chewable children's medicine

 *I am not a Doctor nor recommending under what circumstance you should give medicine to your child.  Please speak with a medical professional*

If you have kids you've been through all that ails an infant or toddler, fevers to teething, sometimes things are just uncomfortable.  With triplets the amount of times during the night we may have to get up and give medicine because it is just clear that the wee one is uncomfortable are, well triple that of the average parent.  The last thing you want in the middle of the night, is to be up in the middle of the night.  The second thing you don't want is to have to turn on lights.  When your kid is sick the midnight wake up call can't be avoided. Also, with the infant ibuprofen & acetaminophen suspension medicines turning on the light also can't be avoided since you have to use the syringe to pull the right amount of medicine into the syringe. With the triplets being very different weights it was always necessary to confirm the dosage and also to pull to the correct line, awake yet? 

Enter recent shopping excursion when I was stocking up since we have a lot of 2 year molars coming in right now.  I took a second look at the box I was holding 'chewable, quick melt!', checked the age range and put the box back.  I stood in a daze, staring at the selection again, not a dream, this was for real,they sale children's chewable medicine!  Sometimes I have to think things through when out shopping with the triplets, things can get a little hectic.  I tossed a box into my shopping cart thinking there is no way this could be true or work as expected.  I was wrong.  It was a few nights later one of the kids woke up with a fever and I made the dreaded trip to the medicine cabinet.  On my way I remembered the recent purchase and woke myself up more from the excitement. It was genius!  Quick, easy and administering it was so simple, no dripping, sticky medicine all over them or me, something that seems to happen more often then not when you are in the half dark trying to feed someone medicine.

We now have ibuprofen, in grape flavor, and acetaminophen in bubblegum flavor in chewable, melt quick tablets.  I choose the two different distinct flavors to better distinguish in the middle of the night which one I'm grabbing, again trying to keep thinking to a minimum so I can actually get back to sleep easier.  These tablets definitely get a thumbs up in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment