Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Making colored pastas, pass or fail?

This blogger made some really pretty colored pasta, so I thought fantastic, I'll give it a go.  Thank goodness my kids are forgiving as mine did not turn out as pretty.

We try the best we can to do things with as little impact on earth as possible so I decided to use a glass pasta jar instead of a plastic bag to do the dyeing.  I figured red would be a good solid color to do the test run with. After a half day of dyeing this was the result using vinegar & food coloring in a glass jar, shaking it variously and letting the kids shake it up as well.

I added more food coloring and let the noodles soak but honestly things didn't change much so I had to dig up a plastic bag.  As you can see by the picture above the results were well, disappointing.  Too much vinegar?  Glass jar not a suffocating enough seal?

I poured out the liquid and started with a lot less vinegar and more food coloring now in a plastic bag.
I'm not sure what happens when I get excited about little projects like this but here are the results and they are for me a bit of a let down -
I know it is very hard to tell but from left to right, Green, Red, Turquoise, attempt at Purple that came out Black and in spot #5 Orange.....  The beauty of being a mom of 2.5 yr olds is that they think these noodles are super! They love them and have had the best time sorting the colors and stringing them but their favorite activity is to pour them from cup to cup.

I would say for the finished product mom failed, I won't be selling my pasta jewelry any time soon.
From the triplets perspective it is a pass, they have no idea what they are suppose to look like and they are entertained, double bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment