Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nuts about Soap Nuts!

Landing on an old episode of Dragon's Den I was introduced to the idea of soap nuts, a natural berry that can be used to wash laundry and more importantly for me, cloth diapers.

Today I made my 2nd batch of detergent.  My first 500 gram purchase of soap nuts I used the traditional way, counting out 4-6 soap nuts, putting them in the muslin bags and throwing them in the washer.  The muslin bags are reusable but after going through the wash the tie gets twisted and it is a huge hassle to get the bag open when disposing of the soap nuts (ours go in a bin for compost).  With my second purchase I decided to make the liquid detergent, it's easy and it allows me to use cold water versus hot which is required when using the nuts.  




No comments:

Post a Comment